Thursday, August 20, 2009

a spectacular experience....



a couple years ago, a friend gave us a cactus looking plant that he had for 10 years and said it had never bloomed. after living for 2 years in our greenhouse, this summer we noticed some small buds developing. within a week or so these little buds grew into amazing huge buds. one evening, we noticed they started to open. it took about 4 hours before they completely revealed their full glory of an 8 inch flower. there were a total of 15 blooms on the plant. oh my gosh, the musky aroma was so powerful. of course, i grabbed my camera and spent an hour watching in awe and shooting away. by morning, everything was closed up and about a week later, all the buds dropped off.i researched it and was surprised to discover that what we had was an epiphyllum oxypetallum. a "queen of the night". is frequently referred to as an orchid but actually a cactus. they bloom once a year for one night. what a special night it was! next year, we're going to throw a party!

3 comments:

  1. How very magical Pat!!
    your photos are lovely indeed - and even more so beacuse of the story :)
    - nice to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat. What a wonderful picture in your banner! And a great story about the cactus flower. That's worth throwing a party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pat, I grew up with that plant and I even had a photo listing of it in my shop a while back, the scent IS intoxicating, so glad you have it as well. I've given out many cuttings and a lot of them have had a lot of blooms over the years. My own two plants produce about 2 or 3 every year in late September and often get confused ( low light I guess ) and stay open till noon so I can enjoy them during the day. By the way, all the plants came from one stem. I took one from our house in Taipei when I immigrated here and used it a book mark . My aunt put it in water and it started growing - a very hardy and amazing plant.
    There is one in the dry cleaner's window down the street blooms continuously from June to Oct.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photos are my own and I am the only keeper of all rights. Reproduction for any reason is not permitted without written permission. Please respect these rights.